Department of University Vehicles
The Office of Public Safety coordinates the administration and reservation of university vehicles. Only Dominican University staff or faculty may reserve vehicles. University vehicles are available for official Dominican University business including class outings, athletic team transportation and university-recognized organization outings. University vehicles can only be booked for trips of 25 miles one way; for any trips longer than 25 miles or when we are out of vehicles see procedures below. Our goal is to make the vehicle procedures user friendly and service orientated. In order to accomplish this goal, we need your help by following the procedures listed below.
Vehicle Reservation Procedures
- All reservations are to be made through an on-line Support Center ticket.
- How to Request a Vehicle Online:
- Go to the Support Center Page and log in using your Dominican user and password (https://supportcenter.dom.edu/)
- Click the Red Box on the right hand side of the screen that states "Request Support"
- Under The first bold lettered section under "New Support Center Case", there is a drop box. Please, select Public Safety.
- After Selecting Public Safety, another drop box will appear directly beneath it. Please, select Vehicle Reservations.
- Now, You can follow the form accordingly. Reservations must include a completed vehicle request form: your name, the driver's name, date of request, organization/group, length of travel/location and signature. A confirmation will be sent to you via the e-mail address provided on the form.
- Faculty/Staff members reserving vehicles must provide their own drivers. A list of approved drivers is available from the Public Safety Office.
- Vehicle keys are obtained from the Dispatch Center. The driver may be asked to show a valid Dominican ID or driver's license to receive the keys.
- Vehicles are to be parked properly when returned. All garbage and debris must be cleaned out of the vehicle.
- The keys must be returned to the Dispatch Center after each trip.
- Only Dominican University Faculty or Staff may reserve vehicles for University approved events.
- The event driver must possess a current, valid driver’s license in order to drive for a University sponsored event.
- A Dominican faculty or staff member must ride in the vehicle at all times.
- If multiple vehicles are being reserved by the same organization, only 1Faculty/Staff member needs to ride with the group.
- The driver is responsible for the vehicle.
- If the vehicle is in need of servicing and cannot be exchanged for a another
- Driver or renter should pay for the servicing and all copies of receipts returned to the Manager of Public Safety or Security Compliance & Operations Officer for processing
- Unscheduled servicing should only be done if safety is an issue.
- Servicing should be pre-approved by Manager of Public Safety
- Payment for any tickets received are the responsibility of the driver
- Any skipped toll booth violations can be paid on-line
- A $150 penalty is added to any toll missed and not paid.
- The driver is responsible for reporting any accidents and/or maintenance issues to Public Safety
- Students under 21 are NOT permitted to drive vehicles. Grad students and students employed by the University may drive University vehicles with prior approval, a completed application and driving test.
- All drivers must be registered with the Public Safety Office at least 2 weeks prior to driving a University vehicle. To register you must: complete an application available at the Public Safety Office, take a driving test and vehicle orientation. A driving background check may also be required.
- Vehicles are available on a first come, first serve basis. Currently, there are three vehicles available in the University Fleet: 2 white mini buses and 1white passenger van.
- Vehicle capacity for both types of vehicles is 15 passenger, 1driver and 14 riders’
- Please check with the Office of Public Safety for current fleet info.
- University vehicles can only be booked for trips of 25 miles one way; for trips longer than 25 miles or when we are out of vehicles renters will need to contract an outside car service for use during their event.