Welcome to the Teacher Education Program!
Education Program Requirements
Teacher candidates must pass IL State Board of Education (ISBE) approved assessments:
1. IL Content Area Test(s) - all candidates must earn a passing score by August 30 for spring student teaching and by January 30 for fall student teaching
2. edTPA Teacher Performance Assessment (submitted during student teaching)
All education courses presented for licensure must be passed with a C- or better and an overall GPA of 2.75 is required.
Criteria for Acceptance to the Teacher Education Program
Teacher candidates must apply to the Teacher Education Program before taking more than three education courses. Admission to the Teacher Education Program is on a rolling basis. While you may apply all year round, applications are specifically due by: March 15, July 15, October 15. You will receive a decision notice from the School of Education by March 30, July 30, and October 30.
Criteria for Teacher Education Program Acceptance:
1. Currently enrolled in or have completed EDUC 200/CRWS 101, ECED 300/CRWS 101, SEDU 302 or equivalent course
2. Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above
3. Clear fingerprint and background check following the steps outlined in the CPS Field Experience Registration (note: scroll down to the left side for Field Experience Registration)
The CPS Field Experience Registration requests the following information:
- Field Placement Coordinator name: Bridget Burns
- Field Placement Coordinator contact number: 708-524-6806
- Field Placement Coordinator email address: email@example.com
- Name of CPS Placement School: unknown
You will receive an email Approval Notice from CPS. Please save that email and know that when you do field experience at a CPS school, you will need to show your CPS Approval Notice to the school.
Upload a screenshot of the CPS Approval Notice as indicated on the online TEP application.
To apply to the Teacher Education Program:
3. After receiving notification of your acceptance into the TEP, your major will be officially declared by the Office of Student Success and Engagement.
If you have any questions about your TEP application, please email Monica Halloran at firstname.lastname@example.org
Continuation in Teacher Education Program
The following criteria are required in order to continue as a candidate in the Teacher Education Program:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75; Education GPA of 2.75
- A minimum grade of C- in all courses presented for licensure
- Acceptable dispositions ratings
A candidate who does not meet the above requirements is subject to the School of Education’s candidate intervention/remediation process. As part of that process, candidates and their advisors will develop an intervention/remediation plan for the candidate. The plan is designed to support candidates in addressing the criteria above that are not satisfied. If the plan is not successfully met, the candidate may be withdrawn from the program.
Criteria for Admission to Student Teaching
- IL Content Area Test: all candidates must earn a passing score by August 30 for spring student teaching and by January 30 for fall student teaching. You can register and get more information at ICTS Testing Service: http://www.icts.nesinc.com/
In addition to the passing score by the required date on the state-required Content Test, the following prerequisites for student teaching placement are necessary:
Completion of education courses specified in your program
Minimum grade of C- in all courses presented for licensure and clear background check
At least 75 field experience hours are completed and no more than 25 hours are in process during the term in which you are applying
Cumulative GPA of 2.75; Education GPA of 2.75
Approval of your education advisor
Teacher Education Program Advisors:
Early Childhood Education: Dr. Dennis Kirchen email@example.com and Dr. Kimberly Garrett firstname.lastname@example.org
Elementary Education: Dr. Penny Silvers email@example.com and Dr. Josephine Sarvis firstname.lastname@example.org
Secondary Education and K-12 Art: Dr. Ben Freville email@example.com
Special Education: Dr. Ben Freville firstname.lastname@example.org
K-12 World Languages: Dr. Debra Vinci-Minogue email@example.com
Educational Studies and Education Minor: Dr. Josephine Sarvis firstname.lastname@example.org